Thursday, August 26, 2010

23 weeks & counting!!

24 is the "big number" for me because it's when the baby is finally considered "viable" outside the womb by many - although the chances for morbidity are still high. I just see it as a goal, then my next goal will be 28, then 32 weeks (when they do another ultrasound for measurements), then 36, then 40!! :)
I had my doctor's visit two days ago, she checked my fundal height, I gained another 3lbs :), and little Gracelyn's heartbeat was 160. :) She was very active at that time too! Sometimes it will be a few hours since I last felt her move, so I'll lay on my side & gently move my belly and call her name until I feel a kick. Then I'm releaved to know she's still ok. I guess being a labor and delivery nurse & seeing bad things happen sometimes makes me a little nervous - but also makes me more relaxed about the actual labor/delivery part. It's the whole preterm stuff that stresses me sometimes.
Last night I told Vince that I hadn't felt her move in a couple hours, so he started clapping really loud (how mean!) and it woke Gracelyn up. Then he was poking her & felt her kicking. I'd kick him too.
My hospital sends me weekly updates about Gracelyn's development each week - here is what they sent for 24 weeks:
  • Approximate length 12 to 13 inches, weight 1.25 to 1.5 pounds.
  • She still has no fat on her body yet, but her arm and leg muscles are well developed.
  • Her eyelids are sealed, but she makes facial expressions: frowning, squinting, and pursing her lips.
  • Her nostrils are opening and preparing to draw air into her lungs.
  • The alveoli ("air sacs") in the lungs are forming, but not enough that she can breathe outside the womb.

I need to have Vince take another baby belly picture of me tonight.... can't forget those!!

No comments:

Post a Comment